Pages

June 3, 2008

A Day in the Life of an Account Manager: Interview with Jenn Swette

Jenn Swette is an account representative at FulfillNet, an integrated fulfillment company. Prior to her current position, Jenn walked the delicate tightrope between creatives and clients at two full-service Midwest advertising agencies.

What’s Your Title?

Account manager. I make sure that the people who are employed, to count and put things in a box to ship, don't mess-up too bad. When they do, I get to call the client and pretend there is a logical explanation as to why we couldn't do that.

How do you explain your job to your mother?

I make sure the signs, with the pretty people on them in the stores, make it there.

How did you get started?

Persistence. And I got a shot at an Account Coordinator position at an agency. Let's just say that from then on it's been a learning experience to not work in an NE Wisconsin agency!

What's your educational background? How did you get experience?

University of Wisconsin – Madison, with a Marketing degree from the prestigious School of Business. I guess I didn't get enough experience seeing as that's what people say during interviews I go to.

What was your first job in the industry?

Account Coordinator at Infusion, inc. Previously Goltz Seering.

What was the last project you worked on?

It was a freelance project analyzing and writing a report on survey results for a large consulting firm.

Describe a typical day (or week) in your life when you're working.

It normally starts out pretty okay but then someone messes something up and I have to find a way to apologize to the client for something that we really shouldn't have messed up on. The funny thing is that I can't really tell the client what happened because no one from "operations" can tell me what happened. The answer I get is that it's an opportunity for "process improvement". Still haven't figured out how to give a client that answer.


How do you sharpen your skills and/or stay motivated?

Trendwatching and Springwise [are two website I frequent] because they help me stay focused so I can start something to make my own money!!

What advice do you give to those who want to join your profession?

Agency life isn't all it's cracked up to be. Get in on the client/corporate side of marketing. That's where the money and authority are. Unfortunately you'll probably have to move to China for one of those jobs the way things are going.

A series of questions:

What’s the best thing about your job?

Travel to New York City.

What major job annoyance would you eliminate forever?

The Office Space Effect.

Where do you find inspiration?

Haven't found that place yet.

Where do you hope to be (career-wise) in another year?

If not becoming independently wealthy, then in a position I can be proud to tell people.

What’s your personal motto/slogan?

Wish I had one.

If you could go back in time and meet to your pre-professional self, what would you tell her?

You should have been a Doctor!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a bit cynical, no?