Pages

October 28, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Creative Director: Interview with Kenneth Waldron


Kenneth Waldron has been in the advertising industry for 20 years. He works with the company Paul Werth Associates. You can find his website at http://www.paulwerth.com

Please Explain Your Job

I manage the advertising practice area of a Strategic Communications firm. I provide creative direction for all clients’ marketing needs.


How do you explain your job to your mother?

It’s difficult to explain it to her. I tell her that I come up with the ideas and then create television spots.


How did you get started?


I got started drawing smiley faces at age 4.


What's your educational background?


I attended Bowling Green State University.

How did you get experience?


I’ve held a lot of different jobs in the industry. I started as a paste up artist spacing type before computers in 1989. I then taught myself to use computers by working the third shift at a Kinkos; I Xeroxed computer manuals at night and studied them during the day. I worked at a T-shirt shop in college, designing and printing Fraternity and Sorority t-shirts

What was your first job in the industry?

I got my first real break at an in-house agency with a homebuilder. Through AdFed I got my first job at an advertising agency and learned all I could about video production. I was then rehired by my former homebuilder as a Creative Director in charge of a $12M budget. (Never burn a bridge - it'll always come back around). I got out of the real estate business before the market tanked and I now head up the advertising practice of a strategic communications firm.

What was the last project you worked on?

It was a television public service announcement for National Adoption Day.


Describe a typical day (or week) in your life when you're working?


Think, work, interruptions, phone calls, e-mails, think, work, interruptions, time sheets. Repeat.


How do you sharpen your skills and/or stay motivated?


I attend industry events like AdFed meetings and American Marketing Association meetings.


What advice do you give to those who want to join your profession?

Learn the computer programs and have passion about your ideas.


If you could go back in time and meet your pre-professional self, what would you tell him?

Move to California and become an editor in Hollywood.

A Series of Questions:

What’s the best thing about your job?


The People


What major job annoyance would you eliminate forever?


Politics

Where do you find inspiration?


YouTube


Where do you hope to be (career-wise) in another year?


Same company, VP


What’s your personal motto/slogan?

He who stops advertising to save money may as well stop their watch to save time.

0 comments: